Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A day at work for a EWB professional fellow

A working day for a Professional Junior Fellow;

I would like to give a glimpse into what “work” looks like for me overseas. My days are usually spent with the District Agriculture Development Unit of Saboba. I am either:
 1) working with staff at the office, helping them with office tasks;
 2) working on the EWB “ Agriculture as a Business”  program coordination and curriculum delivery;
 3) working on staff diagnostics to improve the management and delivery of programs; 
4) doing field visits with an Agricultural Extension Agent and delivering one of 10 workshops associated with the agriculture as a business program to a farmer group in a rural village. Here are some photos to give you a sense of what this looks like:


District Agricultural Development Unit (DADU) office. This is where the director, district agricultural officers, and agricultural extension agents and myself work .




This is the office I share with the District Agricultural Officer of Extension (desk on left) and the District Agricultural Officer of Crops (desk on right)


My desk at the office.


Livestock that came to mow the lawn out front of the office.


Below are some photos of my other office, otherwise known as the field.
Mr. Gulnja Jamomi amongst his maize field during my first village visit to assist an Agricultural Extension Agent to deliver an Agriculture as a Business workshop to the Tindando community woman’s group, where we we used Mr. Jamomi’s yard to host the workshop.


Mr. Jamomi’s tractor with a chicken/fowl coop on the left. The tractor is used for ploughing during preparation for planting at the start of the wet season. It is also used to transport imports to the farm, such as seed and fertilizer, and then to transport harvested crops to market or buyers.

 Here is Simon, an agricultural extension agent (pictured on the right) from the district office with me delivering on of the agriculture as a business workshops. 

 That is a quick glimpse into what work looks like in Saboba and its neighboring farmer villages for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment